Kuching High School was established in 1963.
Originally it was the former Min-Teck Junior Middle School which was founded in 1916 by the Teochew Association. In 1941, when Sarawak was occupied by the Japanese, the school ceased to function. After liberation, and in 1946, the school re-opened but was named as Chung Hua Middle School, and was under the management of a Joint School Board formed up by the representatives from thirteen leading associations in Kuching. It was the first and the only Chinese Middle School re-opened at that time, and in 1958 when another new Chinese Middle School under the same Board of Management was built in Pending Road, this school was name as Chung Hua Middle School No.2 and the new one as Chung Hua Middle School No.1. Soon after this, the same Joint Board of Management established another two schools namelv, Chung Hua Middle School No.3 and Chung Hua Middle School No.4.
During the early sixties the Sarawak Education Department introduced the Ten-year Conversion Plan to bring all Chinese Middle Schools into the National Education System by gradually changing the medium of instruction from Chinese into English, while retaining Chinese as a compulsory subject. However, the introduction of the Plan was not compulsory. Board of Management was given the option to accept or otherwise, on condition that those schools that would not opt to accept it, would have to withdraw from the Grant-aided system. The Kuching Joint Board, however, chose not to accept the Plan, and thus three of our Middle Schools under its control all became non-aided schools.
At this juncture, a number of the parents of the students of the Chung Hua Middle School No.2 approached the Teochew Association, which is the legal owner of the premises of that school, and requested that the association should attempt to get back the school premises and run it as an aided school. The Teochew Association also considered it necessary to have at least one Government aided secondary school to be established in Kuching. And so, with the support of the parents and the approval of the Education Department (11th October, 1962), the Teochew Association took over the management of that school in 1963, and re-named it “Kuching High School” since that year. This is how the present Kuching High School came into being.